Many of our clients at Beach Park Animal Clinic, a veterinarian in Tampa FL, take their dogs to dog parks on a regular basis. This provides a good opportunity for excersise and socialization. Just like any situation, it is very important to take some precautions when visiting these parks. Our veterinary clinic in Tampa recommends following these rules in order to have a safe, fun time.
- Make sure your dog feels comfortable at the park.
- Check out the condition of the park. Any holes in the fences that pet’s can escape through, are pet owners picking up after their pet’s, is there a place to cool off to prevent getting overheated, etc.
- Check out the other dogs there before letting your pet run freely. If your not comfortable with some of the animals there, don’t let your pet interact with them.
- Be up to date on all of your dogs vaccinations and preventatives. If you are not sure about your dog’s vaccination / preventative status call your veterinarian and they can help sort this out.
- Bring plenty of water.
- Watch out for overheating. This can happen very quickly so make sure your pet isn’t overdoing it. Rest, shade and water are very important.
- Pick up after your pet. This will help prevent possible spread of intestinal parasites as well as keep the park clean.
As always, if you have any questions, you can call Beach Park Animal Clinic, our vet clinic in Tampa FL at (813) 289-3925.